Dr Ganna (Anya) Gryn’ova received Bachelor of Science with Honours (2008) and Master of Science with Honours (2009) from Dnipropetrovs’k National University, Ukraine. She then joined Prof Michelle Coote’s research group in Australian National University to work on understanding and manipulating the reactivity of nitroxides and other stable free radicals, and in 2014 received a PhD. During her PhD, Ganna also worked as a Postgraduate Teaching Fellow, and is a member of the Royal Australian Chemistry Institute.
Dr Gryn’ova employs accurate quantum chemical methods to study the mechanisms of reactions and design new molecules with desired properties. Her research interests involve understanding the chemistry behind the degradation of polymers in order to improve their stability, as well as the oxidative damage of the biomolecules with the view to design better antioxidants. More generally, Ganna studies various factors influencing the stability and reactivity of the free radical species and employs this knowledge to develop new and improved reagents, targeted at specific applications, such as solar energy conversion and control radical polymerizations.
- Gryn’ova, G., & Coote, M. L. (2013). Origin and Scope of Long-Range Stabilizing Interactions and Associated SOMO–HOMO Conversion in Distonic Radical Anions, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 135, pp. 15392-15403.
- Gryn’ova, G. Lin, C. Y. Coote, M. L. (2013). Which Side-Reactions Compromise Nitroxide Mediated Polymerization? Polym. Chem., 4, pp. 3744-3754.
- Gryn’ova, G. Marshall, D. L. Blanksby, S. J. Coote, M. L. (2013). Switching Radical Stability by pH-Induced Orbital Conversion, Nature Chem., 5, pp. 474-481.
- Gryn’ova, G. Ingold, K. U. Coote, M. L. (2012). New Insights into the Mechanism of Amine / Nitroxide Cycling During the HALS-Inhibited Oxidative Degradation of Polymers, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 134, pp. 12979-12988.
- Gryn’ova, G. Barakat, J. M. Blinco, J. P. Bottle, S. E. Coote, M. L. (2012). Computational Design of Cyclic Nitroxides as Efficient Redox Mediators for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, Chem. Eur. J., 18, pp. 7582-7593.
- Gryn’ova, G. Hodgson, J. L. Coote, M. L. (2011). Revising the mechanism of polymer autooxidation, Org. Biomol. Chem., 9, pp. 480-490.