Dendrimers are highly branched molecules that are of interest for applications in medical diagnostics, molecular recognition, catalysis, and photoactive device engineering. We have prepared unique π-delocalizable dendrimers and are examining their electrochemical, optical, and particularly nonlinear optical (NLO) properties. Materials with NLO properties can modify the propagation characteristics of light beams (frequency, phase, path, etc) and so are important for potential applications in optical communications, data storage, and a variety of other areas, all of which are undergoing explosive growth, and in all of which chemists can make crucial contributions.
Marek Samoc (Wroclaw, Poland)
Paul Low (Durham, UK)
Todd Marder (Durham, UK)
Takashi Isoshima (RIKEN, Wako, Japan)
- A. M. McDonagh, M. G. Humphrey, M. Samoc, B. Luther-Davies, S. Houbrechts, T. Wada, H. Sasabe and A. Persoons, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1999, 121, 1405-1406:
- Organometallic complexes for nonlinear optics. 16. Second and thrid order optical nonlinearities of octopolar Alkynylruthenium Complexes
- C. E. Powell, J. P. Morrall, S. A. Ward, M. P. Cifuentes, E. G. A. Notaras, M. Samoc and M. G. Humphrey, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2004,126, 12234-12235:
- Dispersion of the third-order nonlinear optical properties of an organometallic dendrimer (Organometallic complexes for nonlinear optics. 34)
- M. P. Cifuentes, C. E. Powell, J. P. Morrall, A. M. McDonagh, N. T. Lucas, M. G. Humphrey, M. Samoc, S. Houbrechts, I. Asselberghs, K. Clays, A. Persoons and T. Isoshima, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128, 10819-10832:
- Electrochemical, spectroelectrochemical, and molecular quadratic and cubic nonlinear optical properties of Alkynylruthenium dendrimers (Organometallic complexes for nonlinear optics. 35)
- M. Samoc, J. P. Morrall, G. T. Dalton, M. P. Cifuentes and M. G. Humphrey, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2007, 46, 731-733:
- Two-photon and three-photon absorption in an organometallic dendrimer (Organometallic complexes for nonlinear optics. 38)
- R. L. Roberts, T. Schwich, T. C. Corkery, M. P. Ciifuentes, K. A. Green, J. D. Farmer, P. J. Low, T. B. Marder, M. Samoc and M. G. Humphrey, Adv. Mater., 2009, 21, 2318-2322:
- Organometallic complexes for nonlinear optics. 45. Dispersion of the third-order nonlinear optical properties of triphenylamine-cored alkynylruthenium dendrmiers.