Apostolos (Lee) gained his first degree in ChemEng (MSc) with a Diploma in Biotechnology at the National Technical University of Athens (Ethnicon Metsoveion Polytechneion) for which he was awarded the Thomaidion prize.
He then moved to Scotland and the University of Strathclyde to carry out his doctoral studies on a BASF PhD studentship funded through the Centre of Excellence in Biocatalysis (University of Manchester), and supervised by Peter Halling (Strathclyde) and Sabine Flitsch (Manchester).
Following his PhD award, he undertook mandatory Greek national service and was stationed at the Army Chemical Laboratories (ELOT, ISO standardisation).
Lee then moved to Australia to work with Chris Easton at the Australian National University (RSC) on Industrial & Environmental Biocatalysis projects. These were funded primarily through the CSIRO Biofuels Cluster (Energy Transformed Flasgship) and the Grains Research & Development Corporation.
Since then he has expanded his research into the field of diagnostics for Health and Biosecurity and is currently CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science Fellow at ANU.
- Hennessy, J, Latter, M, Philbrook, A et al 2018, 'Hyperthermophilic Carbamate Kinase Stability and Anabolic In Vitro Activity at Alkaline pH', Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 1-13pp.
- Alissandratos, A, Caron, K, Loan, T et al 2016, 'ATP Recycling with Cell Lysate for Enzyme-Catalyzed Chemical Synthesis, Protein Expression and PCR', ACS Chemical Biology, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 3289-3293.
- Alissandratos, A & Easton, C 2015, 'Biocatalysis for the application of CO2 as a chemical feedstock', Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 11, pp. 2370-2387.
- Alissandratos, A, Kim, H & Easton, C 2014, 'Formate production through carbon dioxide hydrogenation with recombinant whole cell biocatalysts', Bioresource Technology, vol. 164, pp. 7-11.
- Alissandratos, A, Kim, H, Matthews, H et al 2013, 'Clostridium carboxidivorans strain P7T recombinant formate dehydrogenase catalyzes reduction of CO2 to formate', Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 741-744.
- Philbrook, A, Alissandratos, A & Easton, C 2013, 'Biochemical processes for generating fuels and commodity chemicals from lignocellulosic biomass', in M. Petre (ed.), Environmental Biotechnology - New Approaches and Prospective Applications, InTech Open Access Publisher, Rijeka, Croatia, pp. 39-64.
- Alissandratos, A, Kim, H & Easton, C 2013, 'Formate production through biocatalysis', Bioengineered, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 348-350.
- Alissandratos, A & Halling, P 2012, 'Enzymatic acylation of starch', Bioresource Technology, vol. 115, pp. 41-47.
- Alissandratos, A, Baudendistel, N, Hauer, B et al 2011, 'Biocompatible functionalisation of starch', Chemical Communications, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 683-685.
- Alissandratos, A, Baudendistel, N, Flitsch, S et al 2010, 'Lipase-catalysed acylation of starch and determination of the degree of substitution by methanolysis and GC', BMC Biotechnology, vol. 10, pp. 82-82.
- Vafiadi, C, Topakas, E, Alissandratos, A et al 2008, 'Enzymatic synthesis of butyl hydroxycinnamates and their inhibitory effects on LDL-oxidation', Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 497-504.