The Research School of Chemistry is committed to ensure the safety of its staff, students and visitors.
For their own sakes, and in their own interests, all staff and students are required to observe the ANU Procedures and Policies and RSC safety Regulations. The ANU principles of this commitment are defined in the ANU Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy.
Incidents, Near-misses, and Hazards
All incidents, near-misses and hazards must be reported (a) to your direct supervisor, and (b) to ANU's incident reporting system Figtree. Certain incidents have to be reported to Comcare (find out which ones using this Comcare flowchart). In those cases it is critical to preserve the incident site until Comcare has provided clearance.
RSC staff and students must sign in outside business hours (Mo-Fr, 8:00-18:00) when entering or remaining in the building, independent of the kind of work that is being done.
Visitors must at any time and must be accompanied by RSC staff at all times unless inducted into the building to the appropriate level.
Signing in is done via the tablet freely available in the foyer of building 137.
Safety Alerts and Safety News
Please read the latest RSC and ANU safety alerts.
- Hazard alert: ANU and personal electrical equipment - mandatory requirements (PDF, TD 10/01/2021)
- Risk assessment at RSC - next steps (link to PDF on Sharepoint, TD 30/08/2020)
- No laboratory waste to go down the sinks (PDF, TD 01/09/2020)
- APRANSA Radiation Audit Report March 2019 (Webpage linking to DOC, TD 01/01/2020)
- Mandatory PULSE module on ANU Risk Management - live as at 21 Feb. 2020 (TD 25/10/2020)
- Severe injury following accidental prick from needle with DCM residues (PDF, TD 01/09/2020)
- After-hours work permitted again for adequately trained staff and students; see RA-Global-00015 (TD 01/12/2020)
- RSC Return to Work protocols under COVID (ver. 2.3; approved 6 July 2020; PDF)
- Return to campus: Updated ANU guidelines (15/06/2020) and requirement to acknowledge guidelines (PDF, TD 01/01/2020)
- COVID-19 acknowledgement form for external contractors (e.g. service engineers): PDF and WORD (SharePoint links; requires u-number and password)
ANU Policies and Procedures
- ANU Work Health and Safety Management System (WHSMS) Handbook
- ANU Policies, procedures, and guidelines
- ANU Work Health and Safety (WHS) web page
- ANU Chemical Handbook(PDF, ANU resource)
RSC Policies and Procedures
- RSC safety regulations (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- RSC Risk Register (PDF, updated 21/03/2019)
- RSC Equipment Purchase Procedure and pre-purchase risk assessment (PDF, updated March 2019)
- RSC static risk assessment register (readable live EXCEL on Sharepoint; requires login with u-number)
- RSC Asbestos Register (PDF, permanent document)
- RSC info slides on static RA process (live link to read-only power point)
- Door sign for labs and instrument rooms (WORD template, ver Oct 2019)
- Fridge/Freezer door sign (WORD template, ver Nov. 2018)
- Fume cupboard allocation in labs (WORD template, ver. Nov. 2018)
- Label template aqueous waste (acidic)
- Label template aqueous waste (basic)
- Label template aqueous waste (neutral)
- RSC Reaction Risk Assessment Template (intranet link to WORD) - Note: an ANU template for chemical reactions has been drafted up and is beeing reviewed. The new ANU template will replace the current RSC template by no later than 1 January 2021.
- RSC Chemical Purchasing template (live link to EXCEL on SharePoint)
Legislation and Standards
- Training/Information Document on GHS (PDF, 10.9 MB; SafeWork Australia)
- The overarching pieces of Commonwealth WHS legislation are the WHS Act 2011 and the WHS Regulations 2011.
- Approved Codes of Practice (web link to PDF files)
- Australian Standards (via ANU library; choose "Australian Standards"; ISIS/HORUS password required from outside ANU)
- Australian Dangerous Goods (ADG) Code
RSC emergency response
- RSC Emergency Plan (live link to PDF on SharePoint)
- RSC Emergency Planning Committee (EPC; live link to SharePoint)
- RSC First Aid Officers and facilities (list, PDF, 0.7 MB)
- RSC First Aid Facilities (map, PDF, 1.2 MB)
- RSC Emergency Response Team (ERT) (PDF, 0.5 MB; Apr. 2019)
- Emergency exits and external isolation points (PDF, 254 KB)
- Automatic External Defibrillators on the ANU Campus (map, link updated 27/03/2019)
- ANU Emergency Flip Chart (PDF, 1.7 MB; Nov. 2016)
- Technical Officers (Training and Supervision) (PDF, Aug 2020)
RSC WHS Committee
The RSC WHS Committee (formerly Advisory Committee on Safety; ACS) is composed of the RSC Director, RSC School Manager, RSC WHS Manager, and a number of staff and student representatives from a variety of work areas across the RSC (e.g. academia, chemical research, biochemical research, workshops, students, postdocs, teaching). A minimum of 4 meetings are held each year, and everyone at the RSC is encouraged to raise safety related issues with the Committee.
- RSC WHS Committee members (live SharePoint link; updated 10/06/2020)
- Minutes of the Committee meetings can be found on the RSC intranet, ANU's WHS page on local WHS committees, and on the safety noticeboard in the foyer of building 137.
- RSC WHS Committee charter.
- RSC Corrective Action log (read-only link to live EXCEL)
- Building inductions are run Tuesdays starting in the foyer of building 137 at 10:00 a.m. For inquiries, email email@example.com
- ANU Training Catalogue (inlcuding WHS courses)
- ANU Training Needs Matrix released Feb. 2019 (TD Aug. 2020)
- Induction guideline for new arrivals staying less than 3 months (live WORD document)
- Induction guideline for new arrivals staying more than 3 months (live WORD document)
- ANU WHS- Chemical &Radiation Safety Online Courses Guide (PDF, version March 2020)
- ANU online safety courses launch/sign-up info (PDF; version Feb. 2020)
- Info session on RSC Local Training Plan was held on 30/04/2020 ) (Read-only PPT, TD 23/12/2020)
- Info session on chemical purchasing at RSC was held in Oct 2019 (live SharePoint link to PPTX, updated 21/09/2020)
- RSC After-hours emergency response training (Live link to power point 30/06/2020), next session TBC.
Chemwatch and Chemical Inventory
The Chemical Management System (CMS) has been implemented at the ANU in 2016 and includes a database for Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and an inventory of chemicals stored at the RSC and ANU. Link to CMS log-in: http://jr.chemwatch.net. Please use your u-number and HORUS/ISIS password to log in.
The RSC CMS team have developed this user guide document with tailored instructions and tips.
Info sessions on RSC's chemical purchasing process, CMS data cleaning, SDS requirements and a few other topics were held in 2019, with more drop-in sessions for questions scheduled for 2020. Updated slide deck can be found here: Power Point (live document), or PDF (static).
List of time sensitive chermicals and chemicals that require licences. Whenever checking your chemicals/inventory or placing orders, consider the shelf life.
Useful information and guidance material around the CMS (e.g. deleting/adding containers, stocktake, manuals) provided by ANU. RSC specific inquiries and requests regarding the CMS should be emailed to CMS.RSC@anu.edu.au
The CMS replaced the former Chemical Inventory System (CIS), which was phased out in 2017.